Welcome to the Chef Wiki!
Chef is a systems integration framework, built to bring the benefits of configuration management to your entire infrastructure.
With Chef, you can:
- Manage your servers by writing code, not by running commands. (via Cookbooks)
- Integrate tightly with your applications, databases, LDAP directories, and more. (via Libraries)
- Easily configure applications that require knowledge about your entire infrastructure ("What systems are running my application?" "What is the current master database server?") (via Search)
- Create perfect clones of QA environments, pre-production environments, partner preview environments and more. (via Environments)
Once automated, you hold a blueprint for your infrastructure, enabling you to build, or rebuild, automatically in minutes or hours – not weeks or months. Better still, when you take those environments live and reality intrudes - which, trust us, it will - Chef gives you endless flexibility to adapt on the fly.
It works the way you want it to:
We provide the building blocks that help you to accomplish your goals. At the end of the day, it's about your infrastructure being easy to manage. Chef provides the horse-power to get you to where you need to be - it doesn't start out telling you where you should be going.
The open-source systems integration framework built specifically for automating the cloud
Some central concepts for obtaining configuration management benefits in your infrastructure
There are several clients for interacting with a Chef Server, Hosted or Private Chef, or Chef Solo
Understand these essential components for utilizing the full capability and power of Chef
No matter the complexity of your business, Chef makes it easy to deploy servers and scale applications across infrastructure
Manage your infrastructure via command line, a WebUI, an irb session, and through adding plugins for additional functionality
Reference documentation and related information - Read up here!
Walkthrough Guides, Webcasts, Tutorials, Training - Learn here!
The Chef Open Source Community - Join and Contribute here!
Need assistance? You have support!
Gather with fellow Chefs and others facing similar challenges - come to a Community Event!
Official Community Events, including: FoodFight - a bi-weekly Chef Community Podcast, Opscode Events, MeetUps and Conferences we're attending, and the inaugural Opscode Community Summit 1 plus #chefconf: the Chef User Conference.
- Periodic maintenance is announced in advance via the Opscode Status site, as are any emergent issues with availability.
- Sign up for @opscode_status for timely notice of any information on Hosted Chef availability and performance.
Looking For Instant Gratification?
The Fast Start Guide will get you up and running quickly on Ubuntu or Mac OS X using Hosted Chef (as your chef server).
If you prefer to install your own server, use the Chef Server + Chef client directions at Installation.